If you’re confused, let me explain what I’m referring to.
Back in the day, Pakistani brides used to paint their faces white on their wedding day – people thought that the whiter the face, the better the bride looked. While some brides still opt for this geisha-like look, most brides don’t (thankfully!). To top off the ghost-like-look, somehow, the neck and face are never the same colour. The face is always a few shades lighter than the neck – giving the bride a very unattractive look. Don’t do it girls!
Completely opposite to the geisha appearance, is the Oompa Loompa look (like the term? :)). This is when brides go for a “tanned” look, but end up going one step too far – they look more like an Oompa Loompa from Willy Wonka! Now I totally understand that the tanned look is in but seriously, most desi girls are already brown – you don’t need to try super hard to look tanned.
Quite honestly, the makeup done in Pakistan now is quite outstanding. I love the way Pakistani makeup artists do contouring – a technique that isn’t mastered by many in Canada. Flawless skin, a gorgeous glow and makeup that highlights your features… what’s not to love? 🙂
Anyway, the point of this post is that I’m in the process of making a decision about my makeup artist. I really
want need to book someone soon since many makeup artists get booked as early as 1 year in advance.
My main concerns:
- Having a thick white or orange paste (aka foundation) on my face
- Looking like an aunty/amma jaan
- My makeup melting off my face as I sit on the stage with bright lights and flashes pointing at me
- Having my mascara run down my face *if* I cry
- My face ending up a few shades lighter or darker than when the night started
- The jewellery or dupatta (veil) slipping if it’s not securely set
- The makeup artist not understanding that makeup looks different with professional photography/lighting
I know there are a few reliable makeup artists but I really want to try someone new. The problem? It’s a pretty big risk to take on such an important day.
Any suggestions? 🙂