I love dessert. Besides my younger sister, I don’t think I know anyone who loves dessert as much as I do.
So when a bakery opened up in close proximity to my work, I was esctatic. It would literally take me less than 2 minutes to grab some baked goods for myself when I was having a rough day – awesomeness!
I must add that I am not a huge cupcake lover. I love cake but I really don’t like icing – it’s just not my thing. Mainly, I get grossed out by icing unless it’s chocolate (I generally scrape off most of the chocolate icing too – shocking, I know!).
When Prairie Girl Bakery opened a few months ago, I was slightly disappointed that it carried only cupcakes. But hey, I’m willing to try almost any type of dessert 🙂 So here’s what I think:
- Location: I’m pretty sure this is the only bakery in the financial district in Toronto. It’s a perfect location because it is sure to receive large orders from companies for meetings and corporate events.
- The Bakery: The store is nice – clean, bright and all the cupcake flavours are visible through a glass display
- Advertising: I think the owner has done a great job of advertising. The menu has all the cake and icing flavours listed clearly on on side – the other side has pictures of each of the cupcakes. The bakery is also very tech-savy – you can follow it on twitter and facebook
The first time I tried Prairie Girl Bakery, I got the Chocolate Chocolate cupcake – chocolate cake with chocolate icing. The chocolate cake was really moist, not too crumbly and light. The cake portion could definitely stand on its own as a good chocolate cake. The chocolate frosting (yes, I did have some) was light and not gritty (yeay!).
I love peanut butter (love is not a strong enough word for my obsession with PB), so I decided to try the peanut butter icing today. I couldn’t decide if I should get a chocolate or banana cupcake base. Since I have already tried the chocolate cupcake, I opted to get banana this time (I do love banana bread). The banana cupcake was similar to the chocolate cake – very moist and light. The banana flavour was slightly more subtle than I like but I assume a stronger banana taste would appeal to less people. Similar to the chocolate frosting, the peanut butter was good. The only negative feedback I have, is that the icing was a tad bit sweeter than I was expecting. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood when I first bit into the Banana Peanut Butter cupcake – I took half of the cupcake home and it didn’t taste as sweet as earlier in the day.
The icing is always swirled on generously. So much so that it made the cupcake top heavy – after I had a bite, the cupcake could barely stand upright! I definitely would prefer a little less icing. All of the cupcakes are made fresh daily, once a day. The baking is done in the morning so once they sell out, they don’t make new batches.
In addition to the above flavours I have also tried:
- Buttermilk Cupcake with Vanilla Bean Butter Icing and Toasted Coconut – SO good! Even though I mostly prefer chocolate-based cakes, the vanilla cupcakes at Prairie girl are scrumptious. So soft, moist and fluffy – the cupcake practically melts in your mouth. The coconut flavour was just perfect – not too strong nor too subtle. There was a slight lemony-flavour which balanced everything nicely
- Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Icing – The red velvet cupcake is delicious. I’ll be honest, I dislike cream cheese ALOT so I haven’t tried it – I ate around the frosting.
I have heard that the Strawberry Butter Icing is divine – apparently it has pieces of real strawberry!
The cupcakes are slightly pricier than I’m used to – $2.95 ($3.33 after taxes) for a regular size and the mini’s are $1.75 (before tax). The regular size is definitely a better value for the price – it is humongous.
The bakery is easily accessible through different mediums – you can order in-store, over the phone or online. Delivery is available for downtown Toronto locations.
Advice: if you’re planning to eat the cupcakes a few days after you purchased them, freeze them! Sounds weird, but the girls at the bakery told me that they taste just fine if you freeze it and then leave it out at room temperature to “defrost.”
I really wish I liked cupcakes more because the cupcakes at Prairie Girl Bakery are pretty awesome. Check it out if you’re in the area 🙂
Have a great weekend everyone! 🙂