Hope everyone had a great long weekend! 🙂
This post is for all of you who have asked me to give you a list of stores where I shopped from in Karachi. Obviously, please keep in mind that what I consider an “average cost” of a dress, might be very different from your average. Everyone has different price points that they are comfortable with so I’ll try to do my best to give you as much detail as possible! 🙂
As I mentioned before, I did all my shopping from Tariq Road/Bahadurabad. Most of the clothes I bought were ready made so I’m not really sure what the prices of custom-made outfits at these stores are. Here goes..
- Exclusive: I bought 3 suits from Exclusive. I really, really, really like the selection at this store – there is a wide variety and lots of different price points. You can find formal clothes ranging from 6,500 PKR – 16,000 PKR ($78 – $190) – the most expensive suit I bought here was definitely closer to the 10,000 PKR mark and it is heavy!
- Wardrobe: Another store that I really liked – their selection changed twice while we were there so I definitely loved that they always had new pieces when we went. The bridal clothes start at about 9,000 PKR but you can easily get outfits in the 6,500 range if you don’t go to the bridal section.
- MahaJabeen: Slightly on the pricier side since this is exclusively a bridal store – average outfits start from 10,000 PKR and go upwards of about 30,000 PKR. They have very “bareek” kaam – which I love 🙂
- Mohsin: Mostly made-to-order outfits – price range is the same as MahaJabeens – 10,000 PKR and up
- Zardozi: The selection is very unique which I really liked – this is definitely pricier. Bridal suits start from 20,000 PKR – the sky is the limit!
Tip: there is a sale section at Zardozi where you can find gorgeous pieces starting at around 12,000 PKR
- Shakeel’z: Made-to-order outfits – prices start at around 15,000 PKR
- Makkah: Formal (bridal) suits start at around 12,000 PKR
- Jabeens: Formal bridals start at around 20,000 PKR
- Banaras Silk House: They have some really gorgeous sarees. There is a also store right opposite Banaras Silk House that has really beautfiul sarees at reasonable prices – I bought a fancy chiffon saree from there for around 10,000 PKR ($120)
- If you can, avoid using the word BRIDAL or WEDDING. As soon as you say anything wedding related, prices will increase tenfold
- Research, research, research! Make sure you do alot of research prior to going on your trip – talk to previous brides and ask for tips. Every bride makes mistakes – the more research you do and the more organized you are, the fewer mistakes you will make (trust me, even with all the research I had done, I still made a few mistakes too!)
- Alot of people in Karachi do something really smart while shopping – if you like shopping at places such as Threads & Motifs, but don’t want to spend alot on your outfits, you can ask them for a “front shirt piece.” Add this to a plain cloth (for the back) and you have a gorgeous outfit for half the price!
- If you really love an outfit but are uncomfortable with the price tag, ask the store if you can reduce the amount of kaam (work) on the outfit. Most stores that custom-make outfits will be happy to oblige – all you have to do is ask! 🙂
Hope this helps with your shopping 🙂
If you have any other specific questions, feel free to email me!