On the weekend, Nouman, his mom and I went for dosa. It was my (and Nouman’s) first time trying dosa – I have wanted to try it for a long time but never got around to it. Nouman’s mom has had it before so she suggested The Nilgiris in Scarborough.
Since none of us are dosa experts, we asked our server for suggestions. Nouman’s family likes well-spiced foods so he suggested the Mysore Masala Dosa with Onions. Nouman didn’t think he would get full by eating just one dosa, so he ordered 2. Obviously. Our order: 2 Mysore Masala Dosa’s, 1 cheese Dosa and 1 Rava Onion Dosa. All their dosa’s come with Sambar (vegetable stew with lentils and veggies) and 3 chutneys.
Mysore Masala Dosa with Onions: Thin crepe made of rice and lentils, coated with the Mysore paste and stuffed with potatoes and onions
The Mysore Masala Dosa was yummy but a little bit too spicy for me. The filling was yummy – potato and onions mixed with a spicy masala.The potatoes are stuffed at the center of the dosa – so that the dosa doesn’t get soggy. Although the dosa was crispy, next time I’ll be ordering potatoes on the side.
Cheese Dosa: A regular dosa coated with cheese and stuffed with potato and onions
The cheese dosa was delicious. The filling was the same as the Mysore Masala but the dosa was coated with cheese. I liked eating just the dosa portion – the cheese flavour tasted like the remains of a grilled cheese sandwich. You know what I mean by remains, right? It’s the extra bit of cheese that gets grilled a little bit longer and gets left behind in the pan (I eat it).
Rava Onion Dosa
I think this was everyone’s favourite. The dosa was crispy, light, and very flavourful. The onions were partly cooked so the flavour was bursting. When I asked Nouman why he liked it and he said it reminded him of a dry omelette.
While Nouman, the meat lover, didn’t love dosa’s, I can’t wait to go again!
I am so excited to share this amazing pizza place with you guys. My mom, sisters, Nouman and I love pizza – it’s my all time favourite thing to eat.
A few years ago, I had deep dish pizza in the Middle East. Since then, the only other time I’ve had deep dish was in Chicago this summer. I love deep dish and have been on a mission to find it in Toronto. For those who don’t know, deep dish pizza is different from regular pizza because the crust is thick and deep (hence the name!).
Guess what? I found a place and it is heavenly! Those of you who eat Halal, they have Halal chicken options.
Mickey’s Pizza is a small pizza joint in Mississauga – it can seat about 10 people in the summer and probably 5-7 in the winter. There isn’t alot of space inside the place but it is screaming of character. Surprisingly, for a small place, they have a very extensive menu. There are options for meat lovers, chicken fanatics and even vegetarians like me!
We got one of the combo specials – 3 deep dish pizza’s for $45. 2 of our pizza’s were vegetarian and the other one had chicken. We ordered The Cheesy Beast, Spinach King and Mango Tango.
- Crust: Buttery but not greasy, thick but not heavy and overall just perfect.
- Sauce: I love that the pizza isn’t dripping with sauce but isn’t dry either. The balance of sauce and cheese is just right
I love it when I can see some of the cooking/baking
2 of our 3 pizza’s – $45 for 3 deep dish pizza
The Cheesy Beast
- Mozzarella, Goat, Feta, Cheddar, Asiago, Parmesan & Monterey Jack Cheese
- This pizza is a cheese-lovers dream. I’m not a huge fan of ooey-gooey-cheesey things so this was a bit much for me but overall, I still really liked it. Even for someone who doesn’t love cheese, I still liked the pizza – it just wasn’t my favourite. Of the 2 veggie pizza’s, my mom and Nouman labelled this as their favourite
The Cheesy Beast
- Sauteed Spinach with Cheddar, Asiago, Parmesan & Monterey Jack
- This was my favourite – it was very flavourful and all the ingredients complimented each other remarkably.
- Chicken, Carmelized Onion, Mango, Hot Peppers and sprinkled with Garam Masala
- I can’t say much about this since I didn’t have it. The overall consensus was that this was the best of the 3 – probably because most people like meat
Spinach King Slice
I would absolutely recommend this joint for all deep dish lovers. Comparing this to Chicago, I think Mickey’s Pizza just might be 0.01 better!
Note: If you eat Halal, make sure you check with them each time you go there as their supplier could change anytime.
Every year, for the 18 days leading upto Labour Day, the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE or The Ex) takes place at the Exhibition place in Toronto. In simple words, it’s Canada’s largest fair. There are games, rides, international pavilions, exhibits, shows, a casino and ofcourse, food.
Oh yeah, lots and lots of food. Not just any type of food – there are unique types of food that you have only imagined, never tasted. Yup, I go to The Ex for food.
2 summers ago, deep-fried butter made its debut and the crowd went wild for it. Since then, The Ex has all sorts of deep-fried goodies: Mars, Snickers, Twinkies, Twix, Oreo Cookies, Coke, Colossal Onion and even Mac & Cheese. Last year, debuted the Krispy Kreme Burger: a meat patty and cheese sandwiched between two glazed Krispy Kreme Donuts. What. The. Heck.
In addition to more heart-attack-enducing foods, The Ex also added some variety to the mix
- Thyme & Olives: a Halal Lebanese bakery selling yummy pies – spinach, cheese, cheese and zataar, meat, and turkey
- Far East Tacos: A twist on traditional taco’s – you can choose from a variety of Korean inspired toppings
- Vie Raw Food: For the health conscious, The Ex welcomed raw food this year
Here’s what Nouman and I tried new this time:
- Steak & Cheese Factory: Nouman loves meat so he tried a sandwich from the Steak & Cheese Factory. He ordered an 8″ chicken and cheese sub but they gave him an 8″ steak and cheese sandwich instead. The line was super long but Nouman didn’t love his sub
- Thyme & Olives: We heard that the Turkey and Cheese pie was really good so Nouman’s family tried that. Everyone really liked it
The Turkey pie on the right side
- Deep Fried Oreos: The concept seems yummy but it wasn’t too great. I would’ve liked it better if there was still a slight crunch to the cookie but there wasn’t. The inside was surprisingly very soft. I’m not a fan of the batter either – it’s too thick and gooey for my liking. Overall, it was just meh.
3 for $5. What a ripoff
A look inside
- Deep Fried Snickers: We decided to get the snickers bar with icecream and chocolate sauce on top. This was much better than the Oreo. I liked the crunchiness of the peanuts and the stickyness of the caramel. The icecream was also a good idea – the lightness of the icecream balanced the thickness of the batter.
- Just Cone It: I love pizza and so I had to try this. I opted for the pizza flavour minus the pepperoni – the server even got me a new bowl and spoon since the previous ones all had pepperoni mixed in. While the concept is great, the flavour was definitely lacking.
A closer look
- Swiss Waffle: Topped with soft serve vanilla icecream and fresh strawberries. We got our waffle dipped in chocolate aswell. Ofcourse. Contrary to the Belgian waffle, the Swiss waffle is crispy which makes it fun to eat.
I think next year I’ll try the Kimchi Taco from Far East Taco!
The last few weeks have been food overload for me. I am absolutely guilty of gaining love weight since we’ve been married – we buy each other treats, go to dawats, and attend weddings. These days, everything in our life revolves around food. It’s so hard to avoid all the sinful goods.
For our 2 month anniversary, we decided not to go out for dinner. Instead, I wanted to get Nouman a sweet treat. I decided that I would go to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory since it had been a while – I am so thankful I did. I looked around for a while and then decided to get some chocolate dipped brownies; Nouman loves brownies and we both love all things dipped in chocolate (who doesn’t?!). Since it was my first time trying these, I decided to go safe: chocolate dipped brownies covered in almonds and M&M covered chocolate dipped brownies (for the kid that Nouman is).
The brownies were divinely delicious. I had thought that it might be too sweet but I’m glad I was wrong. The brownie is melt-in-your-mouth moist and the dipped chocolate adds a nice texture to the mix. The dipped chocolate has a great taste on its own – I asked Nouman to describe it and he said: amazing.
My favourite was the almond because I love anything covered in nuts. Nouman liked the M&Ms more. For Eid, we got a white chocolate drizzled chocolate dipped brownie (not pictured) for Nouman’s brother and he loved it more than the almond.
I’ve heard they have chocolate dipped cheesecake and chocolate dipped frozen bananas – I haven’t seen these at any location near me. I’d love to try them though!
I spent the weekend at my parents place and I caught up on all my mom’s yummy food. Over the 2 days, she made alot of my favourite foods – yeay! I was in food heaven.
There’s something about mom’s cooking – it’s comforting and so familiar. I appreciate it even more since I’ve been married. Last weekend, my mom had a dawat at her place and she cooked my favourites: lasagna, onion pakoray and lots and lots of fruit chaat! This weekend, she made the remaining favourites 🙂
Day 1: Kalay Channay, Dahi Baray, Mini Veggie Pizza’s and Mini Zataar & Cheese Pizza’s, Aloo Stuffed Parathay, Egg Parathay, and Karhai Gosht for the others.
Day 2: Fruit chaat, Lasagna (my fav!!), Rice, Karhi and Ketchup Chips
Dessert: Mithai, Hazelnut Mousse Cake and Assorted Chocolates!
What about you guys? Any of you enjoy your mom’s cooking when you go home? 🙂
I hope you all had a good weekend – I did. Nouman and I went to watch Kevin Hart on Friday and could not stop laughing; we laughed so hard that our stomachs hurt! There was an iftaar at our place on Saturday and I ate so much that I could still feel the food on Sunday. Gross.
After we came back from Barbados, we had 1 day at home before we jetted off to Chicago. Ofcourse, I had a list of places I had to eat at – unfortunately, we didn’t get to eat at alot of the places but we did go to The Cheesecake Factory!!
Can I just tell you how happy I was as soon as we entered? You know I love cake, right? I’m sure you can imagine my happiness when I saw the large display of cakes. Surprisingly though, I’m not a fan of cheesecake. I decided to go ahead and order a chocolatey cheesecake – I couldn’t be at the CHEESEcake Factory and have a regular cake. I ordered the Hershey Bar Cheesecake and it was divine!
On our 1 month anniversary, Nouman and I went to Demetre’s because I really wanted cheesecake. I could’ve puked after having a bite at Demetre’s. Maybe that’s what real cheesecake tastes like, it was the traditional New York style, but I’m going back to no-cheesecake-unless-it’s-from-The-Cheesecake-Factory.
Nouman’s Four Cheese Pasta. He liked it
Factory Nachos – the serving size was HUGE and these were divine
My brother-in-law ordered this. I can’t remember what it was but it was really good!
Hershey Chocolate Bar Cheesecake – Oh so good!
Me after a full belly
I’ll just sit in a corner now and think about food until Iftaar time. Great.